Physics and Astronomy

The study of physics not only contributes to your understanding of the physical environment—it also develops your abilities to reason analytically and to test hypotheses. Physics and astronomy majors pursue careers in education, engineering or other technical disciplines, and other industries.

Earlham also offers a 3-2 pre-professional program in engineering, in which you’ll take foundational science and distribution courses at Earlham for three years, then spend an additional two years earning an engineering degree at an accredited engineering school. This allows you to emphasize the liberal arts in your education while still obtaining the technical aspects of an engineering degree.

Program Details

A physics major prepares students for careers in secondary education, engineering or other technical disciplines. Some of our students even go on to medical or law school, scientific consulting or other careers.

Earlham’s 3-2 pre-professional engineering option provides a wonderful opportunity if you’re considering a career in engineering but also want the experience of a broad, liberal arts education that is seldom available in engineering schools.

By combining three years at Earlham with two years at an engineering school, you can emphasize the liberal arts as well as the technical aspects of your education.

The Earlham pre-engineering program permits you to complete the B.A. degree requirements at Earlham and the engineering requirements at a professional engineering school with the aim of becoming a practicing engineer in industry, government or at a university.

Typically this type of program involves three years at Earlham studying fundamental science and the liberal arts, followed by two years of specialization at an affiliated engineering school. At the end of those five years, you will receive two degrees: a B.A. from Earlham in pre-engineering studies and a B.S. from the engineering program.

Pre-engineering requirements in the sciences depend on the engineering program to which you transfer, but most programs have requirements such as these:

  • One year of physics (PHYS 125, 235)
  • One year of chemistry (usually CHEM 111, 331)
  • Mathematics through Differential Equations and Multivariate Calculus (MATH 180, 280, 320 and 350)
  • One semester of computer programming (CS 128)

Some programs include additional courses such as economics (required by Columbia) or additional courses in biology, chemistry or electronics (if you have a particular interest such as biomedical or electrical engineering).

Through our 3+1 Education Program, you can earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and teaching license—all in just nine semesters.

You’ll leave Earlham with two degrees, licensed to teach grades 5-12 in Indiana. (And it’s easy to transfer your license to other states—many of our graduates do!)

Learn more about our 3+1 program.

To earn a Bachelor of Arts in Physics, you must complete the following courses, in addition to general education requirements:

Course Code
Credit Hours
Sub-Total Credit Hours

Three additional courses (or more if necessary for a total at least 9 credits) from other Physics courses numbered 300 – 480.

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Sub-Total Credit Hours

Courses between 481 and 487 may be counted toward the major with permission from the Department.

And these Mathematics courses:

Course Code
Credit Hours
Sub-Total Credit Hours

To earn a minor in physics, you must complete the following courses:

Course Code
Credit Hours
Sub-Total Credit Hours

Top ranked

Earlham ranks 64th nationally (in the 95th percentile) in the percentage of graduates receiving Ph.D.s in physics.


According to the American Institute of Physics, top fields of employment for graduates with bachelor’s degrees include engineering, computer or information systems, STEM-related jobs, and physics and astronomy, to name a few.


91% of work seekers who majored in the natural sciences between 2018-2022 were employed, pursuing graduate school or volunteering within six months of graduation.

Recent graduates have been admitted to graduate programs in plasma and particle physics, engineering and planetary science. Others have gone on to become teachers, programmers or to work in the investment industry.

What kind of research experience and internships are available?

Recent physics majors have interned at places like the Max Planck Biophysical Chemistry Institute in Germany and at companies working on technology like artificial intelligence.

In addition, there are many opportunities for you to engage in research experiences both on and off-campus, and many students do summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) around the world.

Information for first-year students

To major in physics and maintain flexibility in your schedule, you should consider beginning the introductory sequence in your first year.

If you have not previously taken calculus, you may be required to take MATH 180 during the fall semester of your first year. (It is possible to major in physics beginning in your sophomore year, but scheduling can get rather crowded.)

It is important that you plan your programs early, after careful consultation with your academic adviser about career aims, to maximize your opportunities for off-campus study or for completing a minor in addition to your physics major.

Earlham’s Department of Physics provides information about career opportunities and currently active fields of specialization. Our graduates go on to teach, to work on wall street, to work in industry, to graduate school and to a variety of other careers.

Physicists or astronomers with a doctoral degree can do research in a field of their own choice — working in industrial, academic or government laboratories. Some industrial or government laboratories employ physicists or astronomers with a B.S. or M.S. degree in assisting capacities, and some of these help their employees in working toward higher degrees. If you are preparing for doctoral graduate work in physics, you should plan to take PHYS 350, 355, 360, 375, 425, 435, 445, 485 and 488, in addition to MATH 180, 280, 310, 320, 350 and CS 128.

If you’re planning a career as a high school physics teacher, you should plan your programs carefully in consultation with both the education and physics faculty. In your course of study, you should include the introductory sequence and courses selected from PHYS 350, 355, 360, 375, 415, 425 and 445, and the necessary courses in education.

View a full list of courses and their descriptions.

Can I do off-campus study

Yes! We strongly encourage you to speak with your faculty adviser as early as possible about your interest in off-campus study. This allows your adviser to help you create a four-year plan that incorporates an off-campus semester into your coursework.